The organizations communications vehicles (meetings, newsletters, etc.) lacked integration and program management, as well as full executive sponsorship. The absence of a comprehensive communication plan made it difficult to communicate a clear leadership agenda or to demonstrate the organization’s progress against its high-priority initiatives.
We proposed an integrated approach for internal communications with senior leadership through a combination of regular, interactive meetings, targeted newsletters and updates via the intranet. The communications program included a systematically managed annual strategic planning cycle. To meet the communication needs of these audiences, we proposed three integrated vehicles – regularly scheduled, bi-monthly Senior Leadership Team meetings, a revised approach to the annual Leadership Conference, and a Senior Management newsletter timed to correspond with the frequency of the Senior Leadership Team Meetings.
The Annual Leadership Conference is a critical element of the communications strategy; where 350 senior leaders converge to learn the organization’s strategic objectives, discuss organization-wide initiatives and network with their peers. To support this conference, we provide:
- Content Development – Through attendee interviews, focus groups and executive input, we defined the meeting objectives and designed the agenda. We also identified presenters and worked with all speakers on messaging and presentations.
- Logistics Management – We managed of all elements of the event logistics both pre- and post- event. Our effort included hotel contract management – sleeping space, meeting space, food and beverage, registration, event materials, signage, etc.
- Communication Support – We developed and executed the event communication plan.
- On-Site Management – We provided overall management of the on-site event staff for logistics and content.
- Program Measurement and Reporting – We performed event measurement including the development of the evaluation criteria, creating the measurement form, administering on-site feedback, tabulating results and providing evaluation reports.
Key Outcome/Key Data
By implementing a programmatic approach to senior leadership communications, the following key objectives were met:
- Senior leaders receive appropriate and timely information to help them understand the direction of the organization and how their teams contribute
- Senior leaders are provided with talking points they can share with their teams and they are clear that they have this responsibility following each bi-monthly meeting
- Senior leaders now have the opportunity to regularly interact and exchange ideas
- The timing and frequency of leadership communications is coordinated and executed in a manner that supports the annual planning cycle